Who remembers the grapefruit diet? I know I tried it at least 10 times in my 20s. Eating grapefruit every meal, every day for 2 weeks, along with a prescribed high protein, low carb diet, boasted of amazing weight loss results. I’m sure I lost weight, but for a few years, I could barely stand the smell of a grapefruit.
Thankfully, I enjoy eating grapefruit again, but I never really thought I would come to love grapefruit essential oil so much that it would make my list of 10 Best Essential Oils for Everyday Use. I never really thought about the scent of grapefruit as one I would want to “wear” or use to cleanse the air in my home either. And while I knew from my grapefruit diet days that eating grapefruit was healthy and delicious (at least for the first week), for some reason it never occurred to me that grapefruit essential oil would be equally as good for me. Maybe even better.
Here are just a few ways that grapefruit essential oil is good for you:
Grapefruit essential oil is high in antioxidants. Just like the fruit itself, the vitamin C and other antioxidants in the essential oil can boost the immune system and offer protection against premature aging, loss of vision and hearing, macular degeneration, and nervous disorders.
Grapefruit essential oil is a great disinfectant. It is antiviral and antimicrobial. It can be beneficial in treating infections of the stomach, intestines, and urinary tract, as well as oral and eye infections and infections of the skin.
Grapefruit essential oil has antiseptic properties. It’s a great oil to use on minor cuts, scrapes and burns to encourage healing and prevent infection.
Grapefruit essential oil is a natural stimulant for the body and mind. It can balance metabolism and make you more active and alert. It can also decrease your appetite and sugar cravings to aid with weight loss.
Grapefruit essential oil has diuretic properties enabling you to detox and reduce excess water weight.
Grapefruit essential oil can reduce the symptoms of anxiety and depression. It is both uplifting and relaxing due its pleasant aroma and affect on hormones that stimulate the brain.
Here are some everyday uses for grapefruit essential oil:
- Purify the air in your home by adding 2-3 drops to your diffuser.
- Add 5-6 drops to a quart of distilled water to create an all-purpose cleaner. Store in spray bottle and shake before using.
- Add 2-3 drops to a tablespoon of coconut oil. Massage into areas of cellulite for 5-10 minutes each day.
- To curb your appetite or sugar cravings, inhale the oil directly from the bottle.
- To relieve swollen ankle, dilute 2-3 drops of grapefruit essential oil in a tablespoon of carrier oil and massage directly into ankles.
- To relieve stress, add 1/2 cup epsom salt, 10 drops of sweet orange oil and 15 drops of grapefruit oil to a hot bath for a rejuvenating soak.
- Make a face toner by adding 1 cup distilled water, 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar and 5 drops grapefruit oil to a glass jar. Shake well and apply to your face with a cotton pad to remove excess oils from the skin.
Grapefruit Essential Oil is phototoxic. Be careful when using on skin. Use extra carrier oil when using on sensitive skin.
Essential oils are highly concentrated, strong, and powerful liquids that can be harmful if not used carefully and properly. This is an especially potent blend of essential oils which could cause irritation when applied to the skin, even in diluted amounts. Use caution when using them. Please keep essential oils out of reach of children. Please do not use this essential oil on children under the age of 6 months.
When I began eliminating most of the chemical formulations in my everyday life, I began looking for the perfect blend of essential oils to use instead of the traditional body sprays I had accumulated from Bath and Body Works. I loved the scent of many of those sprays, but I didn’t love the list of ingredients I couldn’t pronounce or the way they often made me sneeze or even wheeze.